Pages

Friday, August 23, 2013

Kaleidoscope Quilt by Julie

Julie is a co-worker of mine who happens to make beautiful quilts.  She just started quilting about 3 years ago.  I am very pleased to feature one of her magnificent creations!  I think her work is fantastic.
You can find Julie at 627handworks.com 
ENJOY!


Kaleidoscope Quilt

BY JULIE HIRT
Sweet, sweet, victory.  That’s how I feel about this quilt.
Kaleidoscope Quilt 627handworks (1)
This was the first time I’ve made quilt blocks with linen.  I starched the crap out of it.  Not sure if it was necessary, but I did anyway.
Kaleidoscope Quilt 627handworks (3)
It’s also the first time I’ve done rows of straight line quilting. These are spaced at 1″ and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.
Breepickles suggested quilting concentric circles, which would have been awesome, but I’m not comfortable doing that yet. Feel I should play with that style before attempting an entire quilt.
Kaleidoscope Quilt 627handworks (6)
Quilting:
Aurifil’s Medium Turquoise (#5006) cotton in 50 wt matched the backing perfectly.  Then I used my absolute favorite color, Platinum (#2912) for the front. The Platinum blends into the Kaufman yarn-dyed linen and doesn’t take away from the bright quilting cottons.
I figured as long as I used the same weight of thread for the top and bobbin, it was okay to use 2 different colors.
Kaleidoscope Quilt 627handworks (5)
Crinkles make me happy.
It does annoy me when when the fabric in some straight line quilting twists and turns between the rows. Luckily I got away without that happening and I didn’t switch directions between rows. Nope!  I’m a rebel.
My machine (Janome Memory Craft 6600p) has a really nice built in walking foot so all the layers stayed put.  To be honest, I think not switching directions between rows helped prevent that twisty-turny that bothers me so.
Rows of straight line quilting doesn’t freak me out now that I’ve done it. Next time I’d like to try skinnier rows or random spacing.
Kaleidoscope Quilt 627handworks (2)
Pattern:
I was super late to the Kaleidoscope party at Don’t Call Me Betsy’s. I didn’t use the templates but I did use her fabric requirements as well as strip sizes.
I cut 6.5″ strips of fabric and used the 30 degree mark on my ruler to cut the triangles.  Elizabeth has a template if you are not comfortable doing that. I also used my ruler for the corner triangles, but she provides a template for that too!
Layout:
Alternate blocks of 8 prints and blocks with 4 prints & 4 solids.  All corners are solid.
If you make one, definitely play and look at pictures first. Some people make all their blocks using alternating solid/print with some of the corners a print.  Then lay them out all the same, while others rotate every other block. There really are tons of options!
Kaleidoscope Quilt 627handworks (4)
I used more of the Kaufman linen for the hand stitched binding. Linen has such a nice texture and it just makes me feel all fancy.
The backing is Free Spirit’s voile in Mist from Cucire.  I heart, heart, heart it. Soooo soft.  After loving it on the back of a baby quilt, I decided to spoil myself.
And, of course, I added a label. I used to embroider them, but this works well too.  You can order labels and save 5% using code 627handworks at Ikaprint! *wink wink*
Kaleidoscope Quilt 627handworks (7)
It measures 72″ x 60″ which is great for the sofa and I’m keeping it for myself (shocker).   Let’s see if any of my family members can pry it from my hands. Doubt it.
Oh… I spray basted it. I’ve never pinned.  Is my quilty membership revoked now?
julie

Share

2 comments: